Fostering a comfortable and inclusive classroom where students feel safe to be themselves and take risks is a priority in my classroom. I aspire to foster a classroom of mutual respect and understanding, that students are happy to be a part of. When I was in school, I had a teacher who was really big on multiculturalism, and I can see that reflected in my teaching pedagogies. I gather a lot of my methodology from around the world.

There is an Aboriginal word from Australia that refers to deep listening, a quiet and still awareness. The aim is to hold and witness the stories told by others, our environments, and ourselves. This is something I hope to implement in my classroom, upholding the forgotten part of oral traditions, listening. Above creating a supportive atmosphere, I want to create a classroom space that students want to spend time in. A space where they feel comfortable, and can thrive in. Hygee (hoo-guh) is a Scandinavian term for enjoying the simple comforts of everyday life that create an atmosphere of sanctuary, warmth and community.

A big part of creating the classroom environment I desire, is establishing clear classroom expectations that outline not only rules, but values that will support a positive classroom community. Students and the teacher both have a role in upholding a respectful environment daily. I feel it is important that these expectations are established as a group, and that it be emphasized that as a class, we can also discuss altering them if needed. Students should also be involved in determining methods of addressing and managing behaviours that go against the classroom values.

I feel that with Indigenizing education, we are recognizing that other culture’s ways of knowing hold value and can be impactful when implemented into the classroom learning environment. With technology providing the opportunity to connect with unlimited resources from around the world, we are able to deliver a world of knowledge to our students.

Resources